Vanguard Skin Specialists and clara are grateful for the many organizations that help make our community and world a better place.
Give Thanks is our annual initiative to recognize local charities and organizations that make a significant impact.
When does Give Thanks take place?
The campaign will take place during the month of November. All charities will be showcased on Vanguard and Clara’s social media platforms and through displays in our offices.
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, we will select charities which focus on helping children and/or families in need.
- October 24, 2023: Application Deadline
- November 1 to November 18, 2023: People’s Choice voting
- December 15, 2023: Winners are announced publicly
What are the grant sizes this year?
We award multiple grants, and this year’s grant amounts are as follows:
- Hero Award: $25,000
- Vanguard Impact Award: $10,000
- clara Share the Merry Award: $10,000
- People’s Choice Award: $10,000
- Thank You Awards: $500 to $5,000 (multiple winners)
How are the charity award winners selected for each grant?
These are the primary award categories. All submissions will be considered for all award categories where the organization qualifies.
- Hero Award: Selected by Vanguard’s co-founders to award a charity that has made heroic contributions in making our community and/or world a better place.
- Vanguard Impact Award: Selected by the Vanguard Skin Specialists team for a charity that has made a lasting, meaningful, and sustainable contribution to vulnerable members of a community where Vanguard has an office.
- clara Share the Merry Award: Selected by the clara team for a charity that empowers women or children in the Colorado Springs community.
- People’s Choice Award: Up to 12 charities will be featured in the People’s Choice Award competition and the public will vote for their favorites. Selected based on the total number of votes received on social media. Voting will take place through Facebook from November 1 to November 18. The winner of this award is still eligible to win one of the above awards.
- Thank You Awards: Runners up within the main categories above are eligible for the Thank You awards.
Who is eligible to apply?
Must be a school, school-based program, or a registered 501c3.
The headquarters for the organization or the beneficiaries of the programs must be located in a county where Vanguard Skin Specialists has an office–Douglas, El Paso, Fremont, Pueblo, and Teller Counties.
The primary work of the organization must fit at least one of the categories below.
Category 1: Locally based organization with national or international beneficiaries:
- Reduce extreme poverty (as defined by UN) by addressing root causes of poverty.
- Improve the rights and opportunities for women and girls so that they can receive an education, livelihood, and life free from abuse.
- Provide individuals with clean water, food, shelter, and medical care in a manner that promotes long-term, sustainable community improvement.
- End the trafficking and abuse of humans.
Category 2: Organization that serves beneficiaries located in Douglas, El Paso, Fremont, Pueblo, or Teller counties:
- Serve vulnerable children and youth
- Organizations that support the most vulnerable children in our communities, such as those in foster care or unstable home situations, so that the children can grow up in a safe environment.
- Organizations that provide food, shelter, and healthcare to infants, children, and youth who would otherwise not have access to those resources.
- Organizations that support underserved, undereducated, and/or at-risk youth by providing opportunities in education, youth development, workforce readiness, or youth mentorship.
- Schools or school programs where >80% of students are on free or reduced lunches.
- Break the cycle of poverty
- Organizations that effectively move people towards economic self-sufficiency.
- Organizations that provide services, training, and education to low-income individuals so that they have opportunities for advancement.
- Improve access to healthcare
- Organizations that provide basic medical care to those who would otherwise lack access to care.
- Organizations that assist individuals in need with access to healthcare through transportation, language translation, etc.
- Protect human rights
- Organizations that prevent the abuse, trafficking, or slavery of human beings, as well as assisting the victims.
- Honor those who have served our community and country
- Organizations that provide education, job training, and basic human services for military veterans and their families.
How can my organization apply for a grant?
We know that applicants are busy making a difference. Thus, our application is easy.
To apply, simply email Annie Callahan (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following attachments:
- Description of your organization and the impact you make in 500 words or less. You may also include how the funds will be used.
- Link or attachment with your last 2 annual reports, including financials.
- If you want to compete for the People’s Choice award, please also include the following which will be part of the online posting if you are selected:
- Link to your website
- Logo for the Facebook posting
- Description of your organization in 75 words or less
The application deadline is Tuesday, October 24, 2023.
Winners will be announced publicly on Friday, December 15, 2023.
Thank you for serving our community and world!
clara is medical grade skincare brought to you by Vanguard. All profits or 20% of retail sales (whichever is higher) is donated to charity. A portion of the profits funds the Give Thanks campaign. Other charity recipients in 2022 have included Healing Haiti and World Vision.
About Vanguard Skin Specialists
Vanguard Skin Specialists is a dermatology, plastic surgery and aesthetic practice with locations throughout southern Colorado. Vanguard is committed to providing exceptional patient outcomes in a caring environment. Vanguard’s mission is to make a positive impact on our patients, our community, and our world.