David Archibald, MD
Dr. David Archibald
Board Certified in Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Dr. David J. Archibald is a highly specialized facial plastic surgeon. He spent six years of surgical training exclusively on the face, head, and neck.
After completing medical school at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, he was accepted to continue his training at the Mayo Clinic, completing a five-year residency program in otolaryngology – head and neck surgery. During this training, Dr. Archibald discovered a passion for cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery and decided to specialize further by completing an accredited fellowship in facial plastics and reconstructive surgery in Tampa, Florida, with Dr. Edward H. Farrior, the former president of the American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.
Dr. Archibald is board certified in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and otolaryngology-head and neck surgery. He has held academic appointments as an instructor of otolaryngology – head and neck surgery at the Mayo Clinic and the University of South Florida. He has published numerous scientific, peer-reviewed articles in medical journals, has authored multiple chapters in surgical textbooks, and is a co-author of a new surgery textbook.
Dr. Archibald is an active member of both the American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. He is also a member of the prestigious Mayo Clinic preferred response physician network.
When he is not in the office or the operating room, Dr. Archibald enjoys spending time in the outdoors with his wife and five children, crossing more national parks off their list. His preferred modes of transportation are a bike going up a hill and skis going down a hill.
Dr. Archibald grew up in Boise, Idaho, with a three-year stint in Germany during his middle school years, where he began his study of the German language. As a young man, he achieved the rank of Eagle Scout, which instilled a lifelong passion for outdoor activities.
After a year at Brigham Young University, Dr. Archibald returned to Europe (and to the German language) to serve a two-year, full-time church mission in Austria. He then graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in neuroscience. One of the highlights of his undergraduate experience was a six-month study abroad program in Jerusalem.
Before attending medical school, Dr. Archibald decided to spend a year as a science teacher at an at-risk high school in Colorado Springs. This experience deepened his respect for the wonderful educators all over the country who dedicate themselves to such a meaningful profession.
Dr. Archibald attended four years of medical school at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota where he remained for another five years to complete his residency in otolaryngology – head and neck surgery. After nine frigid Minnesota winters, he finally got to thaw out for a year in Tampa, Florida, as he finished his training with a fellowship in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery.
In 2014, the Archibald family dusted off their skis and moved to Colorado to be closer to family and the mountains. Dr. Archibald is committed to helping underserved medical communities, including medical mission trips to Central America.
2015 - 9Health Fair - Skin Cancer Screenings Castle Rock, CO
2014 - 9Health Fair - Skin Cancer Screenings Castle Rock, CO
2011 - Humanitarian medical mission, Guatemala City, Guatemala AAO-HNS Humanitarian Committee, $1000 travel grant awarded Moore Pediatric Surgery Center. Provided surgical care to the local underserved population. Efforts focused on surgical rehabilitation of patients with congenital craniofacial anomalies.
1996-1998 - Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Mission, Austria
PUBLICATIONS & AWARDS
- Archibald DJ, Farrior EH. Fat Repositioning in Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2014 Jun 26 [PMID: 24968862]
- Jackson RS, Archibald DJ, Farrior E, Farrior EH. Ambulatory Facial Plastic Surgery Centers and Malignant Hyperthermia. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2014 Mar 20. [PMID: 24652185]
- Carlson ML, Archibald DJ, Gifford RH, Driscoll CL, Beatty CW. Reimplantation with a conventional length electrode following residual hearing loss in four hybrid implant recipients. Cochlear Implants Int. 2012 Aug;13(3):148-55.
- Carlson ML, Archibald DJ, Cofer SA. Type 1 first branchial cleft anomaly: Duplication of the external auditory canal. Ear Nose Throat J 2011 Jul; 90(7):302-303. [PMID: 21792796]
- Koch CA, Archibald DJ, Friedman O. Glabellar Flaps in Nasal Reconstruction. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. 2011 Feb;19(1):113-22. [PMID 21112514]
- Carlson ML, Archibald DJ, Sorom AJ, Moore EJ. Under the microscope: assessing surgical aptitude of otolaryngology residency applicants. Laryngoscope 2010 Jun;120(6):1109-13. [PMID 20513025]
- Archibald DJ, Carlson ML, Friedman O. Pitfalls of nonstandardized photography. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 2010 May;18(2):253-66. [PMID: 20511075]
- Archibald DJ, Carlson ML, Gustafson RO. Kikuchi-fujimoto disease in a 30-year-old Caucasian female. Int J Otolaryngol 2009:901537. [PMID: 20111755]
- Archibald DJ, Carlson ML. The impact of gross anatomy on the future head and neck surgeon. Anat Sci Educ 2009 Mar-Apr;2(2):89-90. [PMID: 19347950]
- Friesen RH, Veit AS, Archibald DJ, Campanini RS. A comparison of remifentanil and fentanyl for fast track paediatric cardiac anaesthesia. Pediatric Anesthesia, 13:122- 125, Feb 2003. [PMID: 12562484]
Books & Book Chapters
- Archibald DJ, Farrior EH. The Farrior Technique for Otoplasty. In: Otoplasty: Art, Science, and New Clinical Techniques. Springer-Verlag Publishing: Berlin 2013.
- Carlson ML, Archibald DJ, Van Abel KM, Price, DL. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery: Rapid Clinical and Board Review. Thieme Publishing: New York, New York 2014.
- Archibald DJ, Koch CA, Hall K. Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. In: Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery: Rapid Clinical and Board Review. Carlson ML, Archibald DJ, Van Abel KM, Price, DL (eds). Thieme Publishing: New York, New York 2014.
- Lalich IJ, Archibald DJ, Moore, EJ. Facial Trauma. In: Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery: Rapid Clinical and Board Review. Carlson ML, Archibald DJ, Van Abel KM, Price, DL (eds). Thieme Publishing: New York, New York 2014.
- Van Abel KM, Carlson ML, Archibald DJ. General Otolaryngology. In: Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery: Rapid Clinical and Board Review. Carlson ML, Archibald DJ, Van Abel KM, Price, DL (eds). Thieme Publishing: New York, New York 2014.
- Archibald DJ, Kasperbauer JL. Surgical Defects of the Mandible and Maxilla. In: Laney WR ed. Diagnosis and Treatment in Prosthodontics. 2nd Ed. Quintessence Publishing 2009.
Honors & Awards
2011 - AAO-HNS Humanitarian Efforts Committee Travel Grant
2009 - AAO-HNS Board of Governors Resident Leadership Grant
2009 - Delegate for the Joint Surgical Advocacy Conference
2002 - 2006 - Medical School full-tuition, four-year scholarship recipient
1995 – 2001 - University full-tuition, four-year scholarship recipient
1993 - Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America