Mohs Micrographic Surgery
Mohs micrographic surgery was initially developed by Dr. Frederic E. Mohs and has been refined over the past 70 years. It is the most effective procedure for treating basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas, with the highest cure rate of all skin cancer treatments — up to 99%. This technique enables surgeons to identify and remove tumors one layer at a time, while preserving as much of the healthy tissue as possible.
Mohs surgery is recommended for skin cancer treatment in the following situations:
- Anatomic areas where preservation of healthy tissue is critical for cosmetic or functional purposes, e.g., eyelids, nose, face, fingers, and toes
- Recurrent tumors
- Aggressive tumors
- Skin cancers with indistinct margins
- Patients who are immune suppressed
Advantages of Mohs Micrographic Surgery
- Highest cure rate for most skin cancers, up to 99%
- Microscopic examination of complete surgical margin
- Maximal preservation of healthy tissue to minimize defect and scar
- Procedure performed from start to finish under local anesthesia by a skin cancer expert
Steps for Mohs Micrographic Surgery
Vanguard’s Mohs Surgeons
This procedure is most effectively performed by specially trained surgeons who have completed a rigorous and selective post-residency fellowship. Surgeons with the highest degree of training become members of the American College of Mohs Surgery, which is the “gold standard” in Mohs micrographic surgery.
Dr. Vinh Chung, Dr. Tamar Hajar, and Dr. Renata Prado are highly trained fellowship-trained Mohs surgeons in Southern Colorado. They specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer, and together, they treat thousands of skin cancers annually.
Our Mohs surgeons collaborate with Vanguard’s plastic surgeons. Together, the team treats the most complex skin cancers and achieves the best cosmetic outcomes. They are committed to taking you through this process with optimal results. See our Photo Gallery
Please call our surgery department at (719) 355-1584 to schedule your consultation with Mohs surgeons Dr. Vinh Chung or Dr. Renata Prado in Colorado Springs or Pueblo.
For more information: