Tamar Hajar, MD
Fellowship-Trained Mohs Surgeon
Dr. Tamar Hajar specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancers. She is a board-certified dermatologist and Mohs surgeon who completed her medical training in both Mexico and the United States.
Dr. Hajar received her medical degree from one of the most prestigious medical schools in Mexico, where she also completed her dermatology residency.
In 2013, Dr. Hajar moved to Oregon to pursue a position in clinical research in the Department of Dermatology at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland. She participated as a principal investigator and sub-investigator in a large number of clinical trials involving various skin conditions. Dr. Hajar remained at OHSU, where she completed an internship in general surgery followed by a dermatology residency. She additionally completed a fellowship in Mohs micrographic surgery and cutaneous oncology at the University of Colorado – Denver.
Dr. Hajar has published extensively in medical journals and book chapters, and has presented her research at national and international meetings.
Dr. Hajar lives in Pueblo with her husband and two girls. In her spare time, Dr. Hajar enjoys learning new things, reading books, quilting, traveling, and hiking.
Dr. Tamar Hajar was born in Mexico City, Mexico. She spent most of her summers in Miami, FL with her grandparents. She has a brother that currently lives in NYC and a sister that lives in Mexico City.
During her childhood and youth, Dr. Hajar played the piano and enjoyed swimming. She spent part of her high school in Israel as an exchange student.
In 2001, Dr. Hajar was admitted into “Universidad Anahuac” School of Medicine, one of the best Latin American universities in the country. She completed medical school in the top 10% of her class in 2007.
Dr. Hajar completed a Dermatology residency in 2013 in Mexico City in the best academic institution in the Country. In 2013, she married and moved to the US to pursue dermatologic clinical research.
Dr. Hajar was accepted as a clinical research fellow at Oregon Health and Science University where she performed a large number of clinical trials participating as a principal investigator and sub-investigator in many projects.
Dr. Hajar completed her internship in general surgery and then a dermatology residency at Oregon Health and Science University in 2019. She then completed her Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology Fellowship at the University of Colorado in Denver in 2020.
Dr. Hajar is a member of the following institutions: American Academy of Dermatology, American College of Mohs Surgery, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, Council for Nail Disorders, International Transplant Skin Cancer Collaborative, and the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society.
Dr. Hajar has two girls and spends most of her free time with them. She feels very lucky to live in Colorado and to be part of this community. She and her family go every year to Mexico City, to spend time with family and friends.
PUBLICATIONS & AWARDS
- Hajar T, Simpson EL. The Rise in Atopic Dermatitis in Young Children: What Is the Explanation?. JAMA Netw Open. 2018;1(7):e184205.
- McClanahan D, Wong A., Kezic S, Hajar T, Hill E, Simpson EL. A randomized controlled trial of an emollient with ceramide and filaggrin-associated amino acids for the primary prevention of atopic dermatitis in high-risk infants. JEADV, in press
- Pawlitschek T, Hajar T, Fett N. Abrupt onset of dysphagia, arthritis, joint contractures and sheets of monomorphous waxy papules. JAMA derm. In press
- Hajar T, Wanat K, Fett N. Survey of resident physician and attending physician feedback perceptions: There is still work to be done. JOD in press
- Delcambre M; Haynes D, Hajar T etal Using a Multimedia Tool for the Informed Consent of Mohs Surgery: A Randomized Trial Measuring Effects on Patient Anxiety, Knowledge and Satisfaction. In press
- Hajar T, Heath M, Mengden S, Leitenberger S. Squamous Cell Carcinoma Arising From a Nevus Sebaceous in an 11-year-old Patient. Derm surg in press
- Hajar T, Hill E, Leitenberger J. Development of Merkel Cell Carcinoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma During Treatment With Pembrolizumab for Metastatic Mucosal Melanoma. Derm surg in press
- Wisco O. Hajar T. Grande D. Commentary: Skin cancer in the military. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Jun;78(6):1193-1194.
- Hajar T, Pawlitschek T, Keller J. Purpura fulminans and four limb compartment syndrome associated with Influenza B infection: case report and review of the literature. An Bras Dermat submitted
- Pawlitschek T, Hajar T, Keller J. Acral purpuric papules: Clues to a rapidly progressive and deadly syndrome. Cutis in press
- Hajar T, Gontijo J, Hanifin J New and Developing Therapies for Atopic Dermatiti An Bras Dermatol. 2018;93(1):104-7.
- Hanson T, Hajar T, Keller J, Ortega A. Assessment and Validation of Diagnostic Criteria for Pyoderma Gangrenosum. JAAD in press
- Heath M, Hajar T, Korcheva V, Leitenberger J. Spontaneous Involution (Regression) of a Solitary Cutaneous Myofibroma in an adult patient: Case Report. J Cutan Pathol. 2018 Feb;45(2):159-161.
- Dhosche J, Simpson E, Hajar T. Topical Corticosteroid (TCS) Withdrawal in a Pediatric Patient. JAAD Case Rep. 2017 Sep; 3(5): 420–421.
- Leitenberger S, Hajar T, Simpson EL, von Kobyletzki L, Hanifin JM, Validation of a Parent-Reported Diagnostic Instrument in a U.S. Referral Population: The Childhood Eczema Questionnaire. Pediatr Dermatol. 2017 Jul;34(4):398-401
- Hajar T, Fernández-Martínez R, Moreno-Coutiño G, Vázquez del Mercado-Moctezuma E, Arenas R. Modified PAS Stain. A New Diagnostic Method for Onychomycosis. Revista Iberoamericana de Micologia. Feb 2015.
- Hajar T, Leshem YA, Hanifin JM, Nedorost S, Lio P, Paller AS, Block J, Simpson EL. A systematic review of topical steroid withdrawal (“steroid addiction”) in patients with atopic dermatitis and other dermatoses. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2015 Jan 12.
- Leshem YA, Hajar T, Hanifin JM, Simpson EL. What the EASI score tells us about the severity of atopic dermatitis - an interpretability study. Br J Dermatol. 2015 Jan
- Hajar T, Hanifin JM, Tofte SJ, Simpson EL. Prehydration is effective for rapid control of recalcitrant atopic dermatitis. Dermatitis. 2014 Mar-Apr;25(2):56-9.
- Hajar T and Hanifin J. Wet wraps and long-term eczema management. National Eczema Association. The Advocate; 2nd Quarter 2013, page 9.
- Hajar-Serviansky T, Kresch-Tronik NS, Moreno-Coutiño G, Arenas R, Vega-Memije ME. The usefulness of PAS for Histopathology Diagnosis (La Utilidad de la Tinción de PAS para el diagnóstico Histopatológico). DCMQ Jan-Mar 2013;2(1):13-18.
- de Anda Juárez MC, Reyes Martínez G, Hajar T, Eduwiges Martínez Luna E, Gutiérrez Mendoza D, Fonte Ávalos V. Carcinoma basocelular en el borde bermellón del labio superior. Jan 2013 · Dermatologia Revista Mexicana
- Hajar Serviansky T, Moreno Coutiño G, Arenas Guzman R, Galvan Martinez Il. Pellagra: more than a story to tell. (Pelagra: más que una historia que contar.) Dermatología CMQ 2012; 10(3) : 191-197
- Hajar-Serviansky T, Gutierrez-Mendoza D, Galvan IL, Lammoglia-Ordiales L, Mosqueda-Taylor A, Hernandez-Cazares Mde L, Toussaint-Caire S. A Case of Oral Mucosal Melanoma. Clinical and Dermoscopic Correlation. J Dermatol Case Rep. 2012 Mar 27;6(1):1-4.
- Mancheno-Valencia A, Káram-Orantes M, Arrazola-Guerrero J, Hajar-Serviansky T, Ochoa-Sanchez P, Rosas-Manzano A, Sanchez-Armendáriz K, Zepeda-Lopez P, Vega-Memije ME, Toussaint-Caire S, Rodriguez-Carreon AA. Deep sweet syndrome as a cause or fever of unknown origin. A case report and literature review. Gac Med Mex. 2011 Nov-Dec; 147(6):541-4.
- Rosas Manzano A, Sanchez Armendariz K, Ochoa Sanchez P, Zepeda Lopez P, Hajar Serviansky T, Mancheno Valencia A, Arrazola Guerrero J, Gutierrez Mendoza D. Generalities in Dermatoscopy. (Generalidades en Dermatoscopía) DCMQ 2011; 9(3): 201-206.
- Mancheno Valencia A, Rosas Manzano A, Sanchez Armendariz K, Ochoa Sanchez P, Zepeda Lopez P, Arrazola Guerrero J, Hajar Serviansky T, et al. Thalidomide: from its obscure background, on its way to a promising future (Talidomida: de sus obscuros antecedentes, a las promesas futuras.) Dermatología CMQ 2011; 9(4): 298-305.
- Ron-Aguirre AC, Palpacelli MR, Hajar Serviansky T, Jean-Silver E, Garciadiego-Fossas P, Garcia-Merodio R, Montiel-Falcón H, Ortiz de la Peña J. Bile Peritonitis as a result of spontaneous perforation of the bile duct (Peritonitis biliar por perforación espontánea de la vía biliar). Med Int Mex 2009;25(6):533-536.
- Hajar T, Hill E, Simpson EL (2018). Biologics for the Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis. In: Yamauchi PS (ed.) Biologic and Systemic Agents in Dermatology, Springer International Publishing AG, Cham, Switzerland, Chapter 31, pp 309-317.
- Hajar T, Asz D., Vega ME, Arenas R. The ABC of Internal Medicine 2010: Pemphigus. (El ABC de la medicina Interna 2010: Pénfigo). México DF 2010.
- Hajar T, Kresch N, Prieto MP. The ABC of Internal Medicine 2009 (El ABC de la Medicina Interna 2009). Chapter18: Dermatological Manifestations of Autoimmune Diseases. (Manifestaciones Dermatológicas de las Enfermedades Autoinmunes). Mexico DF 2009. pp 293-300.