Motherhood is one of the most welcomed and empowering aspects of a woman’s life, but it can also bring some unwelcome changes to the body. As young and vibrant as you may feel, your breasts, hips, stomach, and face may be showing the signs of pregnancy and childbirth, which can be a challenge to your self-esteem.
Pregnancy and nursing affect each woman differently. However, sagging breasts with loss of volume, excess or stretched skin, separation in abdominal muscles, and excess weight are commonly shared post-baby concerns.
Thankfully, there is the Mommy Makeover! A Mommy Makeover is a combination of surgical procedures that can help you restore your body back to the shape it was before your pregnancy. We celebrate women of all shapes and sizes, and we want to help you achieve the look that is confidently you.
Reasons for a Mommy Makeover
A women’s body doesn’t usually snap back to where it was before pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding. And sometimes, no matter how hard you try, our post-pregnancy bodies don’t always respond to diet and exercise.
The following are some of the reasons why a Mommy Makeover may be a great solution for returning to your pre-pregnancy body:
- The abdomen may not completely recover after pregnancy. Stretch marks and musculofascial laxity (reduced tightness of the uterine muscles) may require surgical intervention to restore your anatomy.
- The rectus muscles (your “six-pack”) may never return to the midline, creating a bulge that doesn’t improve with diet and exercise. A Mommy Makeover can help remove that bulge.
- Stretch marks are evidence of deep dermal (skin) injury from rapid weight gain. Many products are marketed to fix this, but surgical removal of the scarring of the lower abdomen may be the surest way to eliminate stretch marks for good.
- Abdominoplasty, or a “tummy tuck,” treats both muscle and skin damage in a single procedure.
- Sagging breasts can be repaired with a mastopexy, or breast lift. Through skin excision and reshaping of breast tissue, a woman may regain the fullness and original shape of the breasts prior to the effects of gravity and pregnancy.
- Both breast augmentation with implants and breast reduction with minimization of volume can be combined with abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) to create a return to the body’s pre-pregnancy form.
Mommy Makeover FAQs
You are now probably wondering whether you are a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover. Below are the answers to some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about this popular procedure:
What Is the Goal of a Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover is done to help restore the natural curves of your body to closely match your shape prior to pregnancy.
What Are the Procedures in a Mommy Makeover?
Some of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed in a Mommy Makeover include a tummy tuck, breast lift, liposuction, breast augmentation, buttock augmentation, vaginal rejuvenation, and BOTOX®. You and your doctor will choose what procedures best fit your goals.
What’s Recovery Like After the Surgery?
It’s hard for busy moms to get a break – but it is extremely important to be able to rest after your surgery. Recovery depends on the type and amount of procedures you include in your Mommy Makeover. You will need to limit your activities for a few days or even longer; therefore, it is important to make arrangements for someone to help with your family and the baby while you heal from surgery.
How Do I Know if I Am a Good Candidate?
If you have had a child and are not feeling confident about your body anymore, then you’re most likely an excellent candidate for a Mommy Makeover. However, if you plan to have more children or are nursing, you may want to hold off on the procedure.
Plastic Surgeons for a Mommy Makeover
At Vanguard Skin Specialists, we know that all mommies are beautiful. And sometimes, you may need a little help to get back to you where you want to be.
If you are considering a Mommy Makeover, we will discuss your goals and objectives – and together we will decide if the time is right for your Mommy Makeover. Call us today to schedule a consultation with Dr. James Banich at (719) 355-3861, or fill out our appointment request form. Let us help you feel spectacular again!